Blood Pressure Screening
Westport Weston Health District (WWHD) offers free blood pressure screening and monitoring. The purpose of this program is to make individuals aware of their blood pressure status, and to offer counseling and referral to help them maintain, or attain, normal blood pressure.
The goals of the screening program are to:
- Identify those who are pre-hypertensive or hypertensive and in need of medical care
- Establish the patient’s role in managing their condition and review lifestyle modifications
- Appropriately refer individuals to future screenings, WWHD monitoring program, or to their PCP (primary care provider)
The WWHD Monitoring Program offers free blood pressure monitoring, at regular intervals for limited periods of time, to persons initiating or changing medical regimen in order to attain adequate control of blood pressure.
Who is at risk for high blood pressure?
- Women over 55 or men over 45
- African Americans
- Those with a family history of hypertension
- Those who are pre-hypertensive
- Those who are overweight
- Those who are physically inactive
Tips on how to lower your blood pressure
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Be physically active
- Follow a healthy eating plan
- Reduce sodium in your diet
- Drink alcohol only in moderation
- Take prescribed drugs as directed, when appropriate