Lead Poisoning Prevention

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Childhood Lead Poisoning is the most common pediatric public health problem, yet it is entirely preventable. Once a child has been poisoned, the impairment it may cause is irreversible. Lead harms children’s nervous systems and is associated with reduced IQ, behavioral problems, and learning disabilities. In large doses, it can cause coma, convulsions and death. While lead paint in homes built before 1978 continues to be the most common source of lead exposure, there are other sources of lead that can poison a child or adult.  No amount of lead is safe for the body.

The Westport Weston Health District helps to prevent lead poisoning and promote wellness through education and a wide range of program activities. For Further Information contact Monica Wheeler R.N. at 203-227-9571 ext. 242.

Parents can reduce a child’s exposure to lead in many ways. Here are some simple things you can do to help protect your family:

  1. Get your Home Tested. Before you buy an older home, ask for a lead inspection.
  2. Get your Child Tested. In Connecticut, pediatricians are required to test all children during 1-year-old and 2-year-old well child visits.
  3. Get the Facts! Helpful information about preventing childhood lead poisoning is available through the following resources: