WWHD will make available a limited number of do-it-yourself radon testing kits at no charge to residents December through March. Radon is an invisible, odorless, and tasteless radioactive gas that is formed from the radioactive decay of radium and uranium, which occurs naturally in bedrock worldwide. Radon is drawn into the home through cracks and other openings in the foundation, and can accumulate in the home, especially in winter months when the heating system is on and the windows and doors are closed.
Should you be concerned about radon in your home? Yes, exposure to radon does not cause initial symptoms, but exposure over a long period can damage your lungs. The U.S. Surgeon General has warned that exposure to elevated levels of radon in indoor air is the leading cause of lung cancer deaths each year in nonsmokers. Data shows compelling evidence of an association between lung cancer and prolonged residential radon exposure. The EPA estimates that over 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the United States are attributed to radon in indoor air.
The Westport Weston Health District (WWHD) strongly recommends that all residents test their homes for radon and that action should be taken to reduce high levels. Testing is simple: it’s is as easy as opening a radon detection container, placing it in a designated area, and after a set number of days, sending the detector to the State of CT’s laboratory for analysis. You will be contacted by the WWHD with your results and recommendations as appropriate.
Visit the Westport Weston Health District at 180 Bayberry Lane, Westport Mondays through Fridays, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to obtain your kit and important information in regard to radon exposure. For additional information, call Monica Wheeler at the WWHD at 203-227-9571, ext. 242. In addition, please click here for information on Radon from the Ct. Department of Public Health .